Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon July 2, 2012
Ky. Air Guard Sending 70 Airmen Overseas
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Airmen from the Kentucky Air National Guard's 123rd Airlift Wing are heading to the Persian Gulf region.
The National Guard says 70 airmen and two C-130 aircraft leave Monday, including air crew members, maintenance troops and support staff. About half will remain overseas for four months, with the other half returning home in two months and being replaced by a second rotation of about 30.
The deploying airmen will operate from an undisclosed air base in southwest Asia, flying troops and cargo missions as part of the 386th Air Expeditionary Wing.
More than 14,000 Kentucky National Guard soldiers and airmen have mobilized since 9/11, and about 400 troops are currently deployed.