Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed December 4, 2013
KSP Release Traffic Fatality Numbers
Heading into the final month of the year, Kentucky's traffic death count was lower than the same time a year ago.
Kentucky State Police say 586 people lost their lives on the state's roadways through Dec. 1 of this year, based on preliminary statistics.
That's 98 less than the total reported for the same period in 2012.
State police say that of the 451 motor vehicle fatalities, 225 victims were not wearing seat belts.
Of the 72 motorcycle fatalities, 44 victims were not wearing helmets. And all 10 victims in fatal ATV crashes were not wearing helmets.
Other fatalities have included pedestrians, bicycle riders and someone in an animal-drawn vehicle.
State police say 132 fatalities have resulted from suspected alcohol-related crashes.