Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu November 21, 2013
Kick The Habit Today At UK
Volunteers are gathering at the University of Kentucky today for a "tobacco tailgate'' as the 38th annual Great American Smokeout gets underway.
Representatives of the Cancer Action Network and Smoke Free Kentucky will join with representatives from the university and business communities to celebrate the Smokeout as well as the fourth anniversary of UK's tobacco-free policy. They also plan to appear later before the Joint Interim Committee of Economic Development and Tourism, meeting at UK's Student Center Ballroom in the afternoon.
Kentuckians rank second in the nation for adults who light up. The state is number one for smoking-related deaths and has the highest number of high-schoolers who admit to smoking. The American Cancer Society offers support and tools to help smokers kick the habit and they use the yearly Great American Smokeout as a perfect starting point.