Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Mon November 11, 2013
Kentucky's Homegrown By Heroes Program Going National
A Kentucky-based promotional campaign featuring a special brand for farm goods produced by military veterans is spreading nationwide.
Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Comer said Monday the California-based Farmer Veteran Coalition has been enlisted to run the Homegrown by Heroes program across the country. The coalition promotes agricultural careers for veterans.
To back the initiative, the Farm Credit System announced a $250,000 commitment to fund the program.
Comer launched the program in Kentucky last January. It offers a logo that identifies farm products produced by Kentucky military veterans. It's seen as an incentive for consumers to buy the products and for retailers to stock them on store shelves.
Farmer Veteran Coalition Executive Director Michael O'Gorman says he wants every farmer veteran in the country to get the same recognition.