Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu April 24, 2014
Kentucky Writers Day Celebrated in Frankfort
Members of the Kentucky Arts Council celebrated Kentucky Writers Day in the Capitol Rotunda.
The event commemorate’s the state’s writers and its diverse literary heritage. Executive Director Lori Meadows says the date is particularly important.
"It’s on April 24th because that is Robert Penn Warren’s birth date. And of course he was the first US Poet Laureate and a Kentucky Native," she said.
Frank X Walker, the state’s poet laureate, and three of his predecessors read from their recent works, as well as praising the state's writers. Also present was Aline Dolinh, one of five National Student Poets (in her case, representing the southeast US). Although her Kentucky experience was brief, it left a strong impression.
“Frankfort is a really beautiful city, and I have to leave tonight, so I’m kinda disappointed that I didn’t get to explore more. I really like it.”
The ceremony also marks Mr. Walker's final year as poet laureate. He will welcome his successor in 2015.