Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon April 22, 2013
Kentucky Theatre Fundraiser: Don't Count Michael Shannon Out
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Organizers raising funds for The Kentucky Theatre says, despite his canceled appearance this Friday, Michael Shannon remains committed to helping the cause.
The Friends of the Kentucky Theatre is working to raise $1.5M for technology upgrades and renovations for the downtown Lexington fixture.
This Friday Lexington native and Academy-award-nominated actor Michael Shannon was set to appear at a fundraiser but had to back out due to a change in his filming schedule. Friends of the Kentucky Theatre board member Ann Hagan-Michel says no plans are in place to reschedule but fans shouldn’t rule out an appearance at a later date.
"Michael was very disappointed that his schedule changed and was very adamant to say 'I want to help you all,' so it won't be a surprise if at some point once we have a little more information and detail from him that we do something with Michael Shannon," she says.
The Friends have currently raised just under $300,000. They hope to raise enough to cover the cost digital upgrades by the end of the year. Studios are expected to cease 35 mm film production in the near future, making the upgrades crucial if the Kentucky wants to continue showing new films.