Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri June 15, 2012
Kentucky River Sweep This Weekend
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Old tires, kitchen appliances, and other garbage will be pulled from the banks of the Kentucky River this weekend as hundreds of volunteers across 32 counties take part in the annual river sweep.
“I’ve been doing this for 18 years now and I can see a big difference in the litter on the river. It’s amazing how there’s just not as much as there used to be,” says Sue Ann Elliston of the Kentucky River Authority.
Stretching 260 miles across the state, the Kentucky River is a source of drinking water for the Bluegrass Region. stretching 260 miles across the state.
Volunteers are asked to bring gloves and a life vest if they have one. In Fayette County, the Kentucky River sweep will meet Saturday at 8:30 a.m. at the Clays Ferry Boat Dock. Click here for a complete list of river sweep locations.