Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu October 16, 2008
Juge Refuses To Dismiss Domain Suit
By Kentucky Public Radio
Frankfort, KY – Attorneys for the gambling sites argued in court last week that Kentucky courts have no jurisdiction over the 141 domain names seized by the state, because none of the names are registered in Kentucky. But in a 43-page order, Franklin Circuit Judge Thomas Wingate disagrees, saying after thorough review the court finds reasonable bases to conclude that the Internet gambling operators and their property, the Internet domain names, are present in Kentucky.
Furthermore, Judge Wingate believes the domain names fit the state's definition of illegal gambling devices, and are therefore subject to seizure. He set a forfeiture hearing for November 17th, but says any of the gambling sites that, within 30-days, block Kentuckians' access to their sites, will be relieved of the effects of the seizure order.