Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu November 15, 2012
Judge: LRC Must Pay Legal Fees Of Challengers
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- A judge has ruled that the Legislative Research Commission is responsible for the legal fees of lawmakers who successfully challenged political redistricting in court.
The Lexington Herald-Leader reports Franklin Circuit Judge Phillip Shepherd gave the LRC 30 days to either pay up or appeal his ruling that the agency owes $112,375 for House Republicans who challenged how legislative districts were redrawn and $74,480 to state Sen. Kathy Stein's legal team.
LRC Director Bobby Sherman said he would confer with legislative leaders to determine the next course of action.
The Kentucky Supreme Court found that the maps weren't properly redrawn. Lawmakers are expected to take the issue up again in the next legislative session, which begins in January.