Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu August 19, 2010
Jefferson Co. Public Schools Suspends Two Principals Over Bus Delays
By Gabe Bullard
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Two Jefferson County Public Schools principals have been suspended in the wake of hours-long bus delays Tuesday.
Superintendent Sheldon Berman says the principals did not properly prepare tags for students that had bus and school information on them. The incorrect and missing tags led to confusion in the bus system and resulted in about 400 students arriving home as late as 9:00 pm after the first day of classes.
Berman says the principals of King and Lincoln elementary will be suspended with pay as their actions are investigated.
"We have tried to do as much as we can to prepare principals well and to say, 'This is critical.' I actually met with them at the start of school and basically said, 'Thank you for all your effort. This is the most critical first day we have had."
Berman says there were also tagging problems Chancey Elementary, but the principal corrected the problems at her school. Staff has been brought in to correct the problems at the other schools.