Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue November 23, 2010
International students get a taste of an American holiday
By Heather Chapman
Lexington, KY – They're thousands of miles from home, but UK's international students have found a warm welcome for Thanksgiving right here in Lexington.
Nearly three hundred students, some with their families, came to the Multicultural Student Thanksgiving Dinner Tuesday night in the Grand Ballroom at the UK Student Center. The menu featured traditional dishes like turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pie.
Psychology grad student Michael Chen says he's always a big fan of the pumpkin pie, but that's not all the newlywed is thankful for this year.
"I am thankful for my beautiful wife. The whole reason I can say all this thankful stuff is because of my wife," says Chen.
Meg Phillips, of the UK Alumni Association, says she organized the dinner so that foreign students could get a literal taste of a purely American holiday, and also to make sure that people far away from their loved ones can still celebrate the day with friends.
"Even if you're not with your family tonight, UK is your family, and we hope you view this as your family."