Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed July 11, 2012
Independent Candidate Challenging State Rep. Stan Lee in Ky. 45th District
LEXINGTON, Ky. - A political newcomer from Lexington is trying to unseat a six-term incumbent in Kentucky’s House of Representatives.
After filing the necessary signatures with the Secretary of State’s office Wednesday, Breck Withers is now officially running as an Independent candidate for the Kentucky House 45th District in south Lexington.
Withers has never run for public office before and says the partisan politics in Frankfort needs to change.
“People are tired of the divisiveness. They’re tired of people drawing party lines and pointing fingers and blaming and blaming.”
Withers, 47, is a married father of three who works as director of operations of One Horizon Institute, a small faith-based non-profit. He faces Republican Stan Lee, who has held office in the state legislature since 2001.
“[Lee] is part of the problem. He’s part of the divisive politics of Frankfort. He’s part of the politics that think of themselves first, giving themselves full benefits for part-time work,” says Withers.
If elected, Withers says he would do away with taxpayer-funded retirement plans for elected officials.
In May, Stan Lee easily won the GOP primary over challenger Chris Tyler. No Democrat is running in the 45th District.