Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue June 17, 2014
Hundreds Attend Fundraiser For Injured Restaurant Owner
More than $60,000 has been raised in just a couple of weeks to help a Lexington restaurant owner who was burned while cooking.
Mamadou "Sav" Savane, who owns Sav's Grill & West African Cuisine, suffered second-degree burns in the June 3 accident.
Lexington media report hundreds attended a fundraiser on Monday at Smiley Pete Publishing and donated more than $10,000. That's on top of about $50,000 raised online in the days following the accident to help Savane pay his medical bills.
Savane has been released from the hospital and is recovering at home.
Meanwhile, friends and family are pitching in to keep the restaurant open until Savane is able to return.