Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri February 19, 2010
House Leaders Unveil Budget Outline
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – The budget proposal depends on a second round of federal stimulus dollars, includes no pay raises, requires no layoffs, but rolls back non-merit positions to 2007 levels. State universities will see two-percent cuts in each year of the biennium, says House Speaker Greg Stumbo. "A lot of people believe that the universities have received quite a bit of money during the last 10 or 12 years. I'm not saying I mean, they can obviously justify their own budgets. They do need some M&O money.
But Stumbo says they won't be getting money for capital projects. House Democrats and Republicans have been briefed on the budget outline, as have Senate leaders. A House floor vote on the budget is expected in early March.