Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
WUKY In Depth
Tue October 1, 2013
Horse Capital Of The World Part I
LEXINGTON, Ky--Karyn Czar examines the evidence that Kentucky often uses to claim this area as the Horse Capital of the World.
The bluegrass state is famous for the Kentucky Derby and rows of pristine white fences surrounding Thoroughbred Farms, but here in the horse capital of the world all the breeds are being recognized. The push started this summer when banners featuring local horses at work went up on Versailles Road. Paula Singer who lives in the area wants it to be known as the Horseman’s corridor.
One of the horses featured is Diablo from the Kentucky Horse Park.
Captain Lisa Rakes has ridden with the Lexington Mounted Police and is now with the Unit at the Park. She says Diablo’s modeling moment is bringing a lot of attention to the park and horses that otherwise don’t get as much publicity as say…Secretariat.
Rakes believes horses help her and other officers do their jobs by creating an interaction with people in a way that wouldn’t be possible without the animals. “You don’t get a hug in your squad car but sometimes the horses will come back to the barns with lipstick on them.”