High School On Hold While Officials Talk Traffic

Aug 18, 2015

Construction of Lexington’s next high school has been suspended while city officials and school district representatives address concerns about the proposed traffic flow around the building.

Credit Karyn Czar / WUKY

Traffic planners put the permitting process on pause last week, shutting down major construction work on the more than $80 million dollar project off Winchester Road.

"Our understanding is that the city traffic engineering department has some questions about the entrance from Sir Barton Way, which is not on property but is connected to the overall project," says Fayette County Public Schools spokesperson Lisa Deffendall.

The city issued the stop-order on August 12 after noticing traffic planners had not OKed the plan, which officials say needs to examine whether  Sir Barton’s turn lanes can accommodate the increased demand once a new access road is opened.

Deffendall tells WUKY she doesn’t expect the delay will push back the project’s completion date.

"We feel confident that everyone is working together and that the project will stay on time," she says.

The new high school – Lexington’s sixth – is slated to open in fall 2017.