Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon November 19, 2012
Gods Pantry Distributing Thanksgiving Baskets
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Staff and volunteers at God’s pantry food bank will be busy early this week making sure their clients get to have a bountiful Thanksgiving. They’ve been busy packing the food and on Monday God’s Pantry started passing out the baskets they’ve been preparing.
Long lines were the order of the day outside three local churches serving as distribution centers. God’s Pantry C-E-O, Marian Guinn, says the lines aren’t likely to get shorter anytime soon.
“This year we have referrals for nearly 4800 families here in Lexington, who will be picking up baskets today and tomorrow at three of our pantry locations,” Guinn says.
Guinn says God Pantry has been trying to keep up with increasing demand. “Our pantries here in Lexington on average serve 2000 households a month. So as you can tell this sharing thanksgiving with nearly 4800 families being served is a huge 2 day effort. But every day of the year there are families who are at risk of being hungry right here in this community and God’s food pantry stands ready to help.”
Last year, God’s Pantry and its member agencies distributed more than 22-point-eight-million pounds of groceries to more than 211,000 individuals in 50 counties.