Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon May 13, 2013
Georgetown President Search Dealt A Setback
LEXINGTON, Ky. - With two of its three finalists for the open presidential position bowing out, Georgetown College is set to bring in five new candidates for the post.
Previously the search team had narrowed a field of 62 applicants down to 8. The three finalists had included former Lexington Mayor Jim Newberry, president of the Multicultural Alliance in Forth Worth, Texas Cheryl Kimberling, and Belmont University vice president for administration Jason Rogers. But Georgetown spokesperson Jim Allison says Newberry and Rogers dropped out of the race.
"So now the search committee has relaunched its effort, probably going back to the 8 who were among the last selectees, and from there we're just waiting to see where we go," he says.
Newberry bowed out for what he said were “personal and professional” reasons. He said the presidential position is a “24/7, 365-days-a-year job” and didn’t feel it was right for him or the college right now. Allison says the timeline will stay the same – with a late-May deadline not expected to change.