Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue April 29, 2014
Georgetown College Cutting Faculty By 20 Percent
Georgetown College is set to slash its employee rolls by 20 percent in an effort to shed a $4 million dollar deficit.
President Dwaine Greene announced Monday that the Scott County school is cutting back on faculty and benefits over the next couple years.
Georgetown spokesman Jim Allison says programs offered to students will also be scaled back.
"We are eliminating four majors and these are French, German, computer science, and music. Now, this isn't to say we'll be eliminating classes in those areas," he says.
The measures are part of what officials are calling a “strategic renewal,” aimed at getting the schools’ financial house in order as it seeks to attract more students. Last fall, enrollment dropped by about a hundred students – leaving the total student body around 1,100.
Allison says the administration will help transition students in the affected majors.