Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu April 19, 2012
Future Kentucky Kernal Editors To Be Awarded New Scholarship
LEXINGTON, Ky. - A new scholarship just announced Wednesday is sure to make editing the University of Kentucky’s student newspaper a more attractive job.
Jack Guthrie, who served as the first editor of UK’s Kentucky Kernel in 1950, is establishing a scholarship that will pay the tuition for future Kernel editors during their tenure at the newspaper. Guthrie has said he wanted to recognize the hard work and effort that goes into crafting the student publication. Becca Clemons, who will take over the post of editor-in-chief next fall, will be the first recipient of the scholarship. Guthrie will be footing the bill – nearly $8,000 to $10,000 each year. Upon his death, a $250,000 endowment will keep the program alive according to Chris Poore, the Kernel's adviser.