Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon July 16, 2012
Funeral Conducted For Former Lawmaker, Teacher
WILLIAMSBURG, Ky. - Former Kentucky state Rep. DeWayne Bunch has been eulogized in Williamsburg.
Bunch died Wednesday, more than a year after he was hit by a stray punch while breaking up a fight at Whitley County High School where he was a math teacher. Bunch struck his head on the cafeteria floor in April 2011.
WYMT-TV in Hazard reported hundreds gathered Sunday afternoon for the funeral. Gov. Steve Beshear had ordered flags across Kentucky lowered to half-staff for the day. The Patriot Riders brought nearly 100 motorcycles in honoring Bunch's service in the Kentucky National Guard.
Bunch was 50 years old. His wife Regina is now serving as state representative from the 82nd District.