Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed January 8, 2014
2 Dead, 1 Missing After Navy Helicopter Crashes Off Virginia Coast
Originally published on Wed January 8, 2014 8:41 pm
This post was updated at 7:45 p.m.
Two crew members who were rescued after the U.S. Navy helicopter they were in went down in the Atlantic Ocean near Virginia have died, The Virginian-Pilot reports. They were among the four crew members taken to a hospital today. One crew member died soon after being rescued; the second died later Wednesday.
Coast Guard vessels and local law enforcement were continuing to search for a fifth occupant of the giant MH-53E Sea Dragon helicopter, which went down about 18 miles east of Cape Henry, Va.
A report of the crash of the helicopter was received around 11:30 a.m. ET, Petty Officer David Weydert told The Virginian-Pilot.
Navy spokesman Cmdr. Mike Kafka says the four who were rescued were taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
The Virginian-Pilot says the cutter Shearwater was just 2 miles away when the crash occurred.