Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Mon September 20, 2010
Former UK Player Holland Dies
By Brenna Angel
St. ALBANS, W. Va. – A member of the first University of Kentucky men's basketball team to win a national championship has died. Joe Holland passed away Saturday at the age of 84.
Holland was a graduate of Benton High School and served in the Navy during World War II before coming to UK. The 6' 4" forward was a reserve on the 1947-48 championship team.
Holland went on to become a successful car dealer and was the father of Joey Holland, who also played basketball at Kentucky. Funeral services will be held Tuesday in Saint Albans, West Virginia.