Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed June 12, 2013
Football Spending Up In New UK Athletics Budget
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The University of Kentucky Athletics Committee has approved an athletics budget that boosts funding for the school’s football program by $3M or 33 percent over last year.
The budget for 2013-14 calls for over $12.5M in total spending on football.
UK Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart said the lion’s share of the increase – about $2.4M – will go toward higher salaries for head coach Mark Stoops and his assistants. The athletics department expects to see a return on investment in the form of increased ticket sales, for which UK has budgeted an extra $2M next year.
The influx of new funding for football means the program will come close to rivaling the money budgeted for UK’s men’s basketball program.