Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Wed September 26, 2012
Florence Doctor Suspended After Patient Deaths
FLORENCE, Ky. - Kentucky medical officials have suspended the license of a Florence physician after 14 of his patients died from drug overdoses.
The Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure suspended Dr. Gary Shearer's license on Monday. The 67-year-old Shearer is not charged with any crime. His medical practices are under investigation by federal authorities.
State officials said the 14 patient deaths came over three years among patients from 30 to 59 years of age.
The state investigation began in November after the board was alerted Shearer was one of the state's most frequent prescribers of the powerful painkiller oxycodone.
Shearer's attorney, Bob Sanders, said his client did nothing wrong and is cooperating with the federal authorities.