Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri February 1, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear Encourages Participation In Shop & Share Day
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Kentucky First Lady Jane Beshear is once again encouraging grocery shoppers to purchase a few extra items for the 15 domestic violence shelters across the Commonwealth as part of the fifth annual Shop & Share Day.
"The idea is that each one of us goes this coming Saturday, February 2nd and as you are purchasing your items for your Super Bowl Party, that you think about helping others that are so desperate. There’ll be a volunteer in all of our stores and they’ll give you a list of items needed in your local shelter.”
Everything from canned goods, toiletries, to school supplies will be collected tomorrow from 9am to 5pm at area Kroger and Food City stores. Last year the drive netted $782,000 in goods and money. Mrs. Beshear says the goal this year is to raise more than $1,000,000.