Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue December 22, 2009
Fewer Highway Fatalities In KY In 2009
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – To date, at least 757 people have been killed on Kentucky highways this year. Gov. Beshear says that's 39 fewer fatalities than reported at the same time last year. "The number of people killed on Kentucky roadways has declined in each of the last three years, and we're on track right now to make it four years in a row in 2009."
Beshear says one thing helping saving lives in the commonwealth is cable barriers in the medians of four lane highways. So far, the state has installed more than 100 miles of cable barriers in eight counties and more are on the way. Last week, Gov. Beshear signed an executive order prohibiting state workers driving government vehicles from texting while driving.