Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue May 27, 2014
FCPS Official Claims $20M 'Irregularity' To Blame For Budget Woes
Fayette County Public Schools officials are pointing to a “$20 million dollar irregularity” as the cause for the district’s budget woes.
According to emails obtained by the Lexington Herald-Leader, FCPS budget director Julane Mullins sent information about the irregularity to state auditor Adam Edelen and the director of the state Office of Education Accountability.
In the email, she says she felt compelled to share the information with the board to shed light on “suspected violations of law and numerous acts of mismanagement, fraud, waste, and abuse of authority that have resulted in the current state of affairs.”
District spokesperson Lisa Deffendall says officials have already reviewed the irregular entries and the only questions that remain deal with their timing, not their validity.
Superintendent Tom Shelton responded, saying he is astounded by the allegations and promised a full investigation and follow-up report.