Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 27, 2012
Fayette County Health Department Offering Special Breast / Cervical Cancer Screenings Saturday
This Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Lexington-Fayette County Heath Department is offering breast and cervical cancer screenings to local women. The tests are particularly intended for the uninsured and those who have not had such screenings in over five years.
Nurse Specialist Pam Weinstock says that the health department recognizes that cost and convenience have often been obstacles for such preventive measures, so they want to make it as easy as possible.
"What’s helpful on this day is that we’re going do the clinical exam visit here at the health department and then immediately transport the women over to UK to have their mammogram. So it’s one-stop shopping for the whole process this Saturday", said Weinstock.
Weinstock added that such tests are necessary and vital first steps for many at-risk women.
“Our best defense against breast cancer and cervical cancer is early detection. So if we have routine screenings, then they’re more likely to have better outcomes even if they are diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer because they’re both very treatable illnesses.”
The event is at the Public Health Clinic North; 805 A Newtown Circle.
Appointments can be scheduled by calling 288-2321.