Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon September 24, 2012
Escapee With Mafia Ties Gets 51 Month Prison Sentence
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- An inmate with Mafia ties has been sentenced to 51 months in federal prison for escaping from federal custody while being transferred to a federal prison in Pennsylvania.
U.S. District Judge Joseph M. Hood handed down 39-year-old Derek Albert Capozzi's prison term on Monday in federal court in Lexington. The sentence will run consecutively with the 23-year sentence he is serving for possession and use of a firearm during a crime of violence and a 30-year sentence for his role in the 1996 of a potential government witness.
Capozzi, of Boston, pleaded guilty in July. Prosecutors say he kicked out a van door in central Kentucky while U.S. Marshals were transporting him to the airport in Lexington in April 2010. Capozzi had been in Kentucky to testify at a trial.