Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Around the Nation
Mon February 20, 2012
Escaped Emu Runs Around Vermont Island
Originally published on Mon February 20, 2012 6:56 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. The people of the Champlain Islands in Vermont are aflutter over a big bird on the loose. A 150-pound emu escaped from his pen five weeks ago. Last week, it was spotted outside an elementary school. A maintenance worker tried to lasso the elusive emu with an extension cord, but the big, flightless bird got free. The owner placed an ad in a local paper that says: Free emu if you can capture it. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.