Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Sun December 21, 2008
Education Commissioner To Resign In Early '09
By Kentucky Public Radio
Frankfort, KY – In September, Education Commissioner Jon Draud suffered a mild stroke that affected his ability to walk. He continues his recovery, but has not been able to return to work full time. Now, citing health reasons, Draud is resigning effective early February. State Board of Education Chairman Joe Brothers isn't totally surprised by the decision, even though Draud just received a positive evaluation. "He had done a good job for us. He had spent a lot of time out in the field building relationships with people and reinforcing the importance of people across the state."
Draud, a former lawmaker from northern Kentucky, became the state's fourth education commissioner in November 2007. Chairman Brothers says he likely will schedule a special meeting for January to discuss where to go from here.