Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 5, 2013
Eastern Kentucky University Selects New President
RICHMOND, Ky. - Eastern Kentucky University has named its new president. Michael T. Benson, president of Southern Utah University, will succeed retiring president Doug Whitlock.
Benson, one three finalists who visited campus over several days, was chosen unanimously by the EKU Board of Regents following a 2 ½ hour closed door meeting. Other finalists included Alan Shao, from the College of Charleston, and Gregg Lassen, vice president for finance at Lamar University.
Board chair Craig Turner praised Benson’s commitment to education and his track record in Utah. The transition process could start within a week, but Benson’s first day on the job will be August 1st.
Benson takes over an institution with shrinking enrollment that’s undergone dramatic budget cuts and staff reductions.