Most Active Stories
- Transylvania Breaks Ground On New Residence Hall
- A Celebration Two Hundred Years In The Making This Weekend
- Gas Explosion Causes Hotel Collapse
- College Projects Keep Fueling Local Economy This Week In BizLexChat
- Gigabit Possibilities For Lexington, Centrepointe, And KY-Swedish Connection On BizLexChat
Fri April 5, 2013
Eastern Kentucky University Selects New President
RICHMOND, Ky. - Eastern Kentucky University has named its new president. Michael T. Benson, president of Southern Utah University, will succeed retiring president Doug Whitlock.
Benson, one three finalists who visited campus over several days, was chosen unanimously by the EKU Board of Regents following a 2 ½ hour closed door meeting. Other finalists included Alan Shao, from the College of Charleston, and Gregg Lassen, vice president for finance at Lamar University.
Board chair Craig Turner praised Benson’s commitment to education and his track record in Utah. The transition process could start within a week, but Benson’s first day on the job will be August 1st.
Benson takes over an institution with shrinking enrollment that’s undergone dramatic budget cuts and staff reductions.