Most Active Stories
- Lexington's New Econ. Development Fund And Demise Of Desha's On BizLexChat
- Local Music Monday: Fifth On The Floor Frontman, Justin Wells
- Salvation Army Gets Extra Special Donation In Owensboro
- UK A Capella Group Set To Debut On "The Sing-Off"
- Walton Avenue Corridor, VisitLEX Part Of This Week's Bizlex Chat
Fri April 19, 2013
Dunbar Band To March In 2014 Macy's Parade
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Lexington’s Paul Laurence Dunbar High School marching band will be heading back to New York City in 2014 for the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
Despite being awarded the honor of playing in the Macy’s parade in 2007, the Dunbar marching band was caught off guard by the news that came in the form of a special announcement in the high school’s gymnasium on Thursday.
"Last night I think they were a little bit in shock... and then after the concert was over I think it started to hit them and I would see kids jumping up and down and screaming," says band director Jeff Hood.
Hood says it was a challenge keeping the news secret over the last few weeks. Over 200 bands applied for the chance to march, but only 10 were chosen. The trip usually lasts five or six days and includes plenty of sightseeing in addition to the band’s duties in the parade.