Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Wed August 25, 2010
Double Hand Transplant Underway In Louisville
By Rick Howlett
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – A team of surgeons has begun a double hand transplant at Jewish Hospital Hand Care Center in Louisville. This surgery is the sixth hand transplant procedure at the center and the first there to involve two hands.
It's also the first to include Twitter updates from just outside the surgical suite. The surgical team, led by Dr. Warren Breidenbach, includes doctors from Kleinert, Kutz and Associates and the University of Louisville.
No information has been released about the patient or donor. The operation is being performed under a Department of Defense program. It began around 7:30pm Tuesday and was expected to last 16 to 20 hours.
The nation's first hand transplant was performed at Jewish Hospital in 1999.