Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon September 10, 2012
Double Crossover Diamond In The National Spotlight Again
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Lexington’s double crossover diamond on Harrodsburg Road is once again receiving national recognition – this time as one of the country’s ten best transportation projects.
The interchange, which eliminates left turns across oncoming traffic, is one of ten finalists selected by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials to compete for the organization’s annual grand prize. Chuck Wolfe with the state Transportation Cabinet says, while the plaudits are nice, the goal is also to promote projects that make sense in challenging economic times.
"Given that environment, it's imperative for all states to be as innovative and efficient as possible with the resources that we have," Wolfe says.
The grand prize includes a $10-thousand award. Starting Monday, citizens can vote online for the double crossover diamond in the People’s Choice Award category, which also carries a $10-thousand dollar prize for the state. More information is at AmericasTransportationAward.com.