Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
Tue October 9, 2012
Details Of UK HealthCare Official Departure Unclear
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The top financial post at UK HealthCare is now vacant after the departure of former CFO Sergio Melgar. But University of Kentucky officials aren’t offering many details about the move.
UK HealthCare CEO Michael Karpf made Melgar’s departure public in an email message to hospital staff late last month, but the reasons behind the exit are still unclear.
"It's a personnel matter and we wouldn't have any comment on that," says university spokesperson Jay Blanton.
An open records request by the Lexington Herald-Leader, however, has revealed that Melgar was reportedly dissatisfied with his pay and drafted an email to UK’s associate vice president of human resources in January noting that his salary fell below market rates. Melgar was hired by UK in 2004 and, by 2011, was earning $479-thousand a year.
The news means UK President Eli Capilouto now has three top positions to fill: the one occupied by Melgar, along with an executive vice president for finance and administration and a provost.