Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue November 5, 2013
Derby Winner Orb Retiring To Stud
Kentucky Derby winner Orb has been retired from racing and will stand at stud at Claiborne Farm in central Kentucky.
Claiborne announced Orb's retirement in a news release Tuesday. Orb was foaled and raised at the Paris, Ky., farm.
Orb won this year's Derby by 2 1/2 lengths, the fifth win in a streak that also included the Fountain Of Youth Stakes and Florida Derby. But he finished fourth in the Preakness and third in the Belmont Stakes, the final two races of the Triple Crown.
Stud fee for Orb, owned by Stuart S. Janney III and Phipps Stable, was set at $25,000.
Orb, by Malibu Moon out of the Unbridled mare Lady Liberty, earned $2.6 million with five wins and three placings in 12 starts.