Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue March 25, 2014
Derby Prep Is Underway
The solid gold trophy that the owner of the Kentucky Derby winner is being delivered to Churchill Downs.
The trophy is 22 inches tall with a 14-karat gold horse and rider atop it and horseshoe-shaped wreath handles. It sits on a jade base and weighs about 60 ounces.
Churchill Downs says the company that makes the trophy begins work on it the previous November. The process takes about 2,000 hours. The track is unveiling the 2014 trophy for media on Tuesday. The $2 million Kentucky Derby will be May 3rd.