Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed October 30, 2013
Depot Official: Sarin Leak No Danger To Public
A spokeswoman for the Blue Grass Army Depot says a vapor leak from a sarin gas round posed no danger to the public.
Spokeswoman Jana Felts told The Richmond Register a mobile monitoring lab detected the leak during a routine analysis of the atmosphere within the igloo on Monday.
Felts says a powered filter has been connected to the igloo to ensure the leak does not enter the outside atmosphere.
Felts says the round will be "overpacked," or placed within a larger, sealed container. The leaking munition then be moved to a separate igloo, and monitored.
Sarin is a nerve agent that is stored at the Blue Grass Army Depot along with VX and mustard gas munitions.