Most Active Stories
- Transylvania Breaks Ground On New Residence Hall
- A Celebration Two Hundred Years In The Making This Weekend
- Gas Explosion Causes Hotel Collapse
- Gigabit Possibilities For Lexington, Centrepointe, And KY-Swedish Connection On BizLexChat
- College Projects Keep Fueling Local Economy This Week In BizLexChat
Tue December 10, 2013
Democrat Reggie Thomas Wins 13th District State Senate Special Election
Democrat Reggie Thomas has won election to the state Senate from Lexington's 13th District.
Thomas will replace former Democratic Sen. Kathy Stein who resigned after being appointed a circuit judge in Fayette County.
With all precincts reporting, Thomas had 4,040 votes to 2,617 for independent Richard Moloney and 851 for Republican Michael Johnson.
Turnout, which is typically low in special elections, was depressed further by the lingering effects of a wintry blast over the weekend that caused temperatures to plummet and left most of the state blanketed in a lawyer of snow and ice.
Crews had worked through the weekend to clear the roads.