Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
Tue December 10, 2013
Democrat Reggie Thomas Wins 13th District State Senate Special Election
Democrat Reggie Thomas has won election to the state Senate from Lexington's 13th District.
Thomas will replace former Democratic Sen. Kathy Stein who resigned after being appointed a circuit judge in Fayette County.
With all precincts reporting, Thomas had 4,040 votes to 2,617 for independent Richard Moloney and 851 for Republican Michael Johnson.
Turnout, which is typically low in special elections, was depressed further by the lingering effects of a wintry blast over the weekend that caused temperatures to plummet and left most of the state blanketed in a lawyer of snow and ice.
Crews had worked through the weekend to clear the roads.