Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue May 20, 2014
Democrat Elisabeth Jensen To Take On Barr In November
Education advocate Elisabeth Jensen has won the Democratic nomination in Kentucky's 6th Congressional District.
Jensen will challenge first-term Republican U.S. Rep. Andy Barr in the general election.
Jensen, a political newcomer, defeated Geoff Young on Tuesday in the district that covers Lexington and a large swath of central and eastern Kentucky.
She has voiced her support for President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul and criticized Barr for voting for its repeal.
Jensen leads The Race for Education, a non-profit that provides scholarships and focuses on literacy and other education initiatives.
Barr was unopposed in Tuesday's primary, and he enters the general election campaign with a fundraising advantage.
Barr defeated Democratic incumbent Ben Chandler in 2012 to win the congressional seat.
The district has swung back and forth between Republican and Democratic representation.
WUKY In Depth