Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue November 19, 2013
The Cranes Have Landed
A flock of whooping cranes being guided by an aircraft on the way to Florida has arrived in Kentucky.
The endangered birds began a migration in early October from a wildlife area in Wisconsin. A release from the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership this week says the cranes have entered Union County. It is the 13th group of birds involved in a project to reintroduce the species in eastern North America. The birds are following two ultralight aircraft on a journey through Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia to reach a wintering habitat at St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge in the Gulf Coast.
The cranes can be viewed on a live webcam at http://www.ustream.tv/migratingcranes