Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue September 17, 2013
Council Approves Zoning Change For Summit Shopping Complex
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- After hearing more than three hours worth of testimony, members of Lexington’s Urban County Council on Tuesday approved a zoning change that clears the way for a major upscale retail and development at Nicholasville Road and Man o’ War Boulevard.
The Summit, a 50 acre complex with one million square feet of residential and commercial space will be located on the former Fritz farm property, across from the Wal-Mart complex.
Council members, while acknowledging the concerns of area neighbors over an increased volume of traffic on what already is one of the city’s busiest corridors, told the Lexington Herald Leader that they saw no compelling reason to override the unanimous decision of the city’s planning commission.
The project, also includes 435,000 square feet of residential space, including living space above retail shops and individual homes, plus a five story hotel and two parking garages.
Developers say once a final plan is approved the complex could open in 2015.