Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed October 16, 2013
Contenders For Stein's Open Senate Seat Emerge
Three names have emerged as likely candidates for state Sen. Kathy Stein’s newly open seat.
Two Democrats and one Republican have announced they’re interested in the job.
On the Republican side, a familiar name has emerged in Urban County Councilman Chuck Ellinger, who ran for the seat in 2008 and lost to Stein. Ellinger has been known as a moderate fiscal conservative during his decade on the council.
Interest on the Democratic side has come from former Urban County Council member Richard Moloney, who recently stepped down from his position as the city’s environment and public works commissioner. Moloney says, if he doesn’t receive the nod from the Democratic Party, he might consider running as an independent.
Finally, Reginald Thomas, a lawyer and professor of criminal justice and business law at Kentucky State University in Frankfort, is considering throwing his hat into the ring. Thomas made an unsuccessful run for the state House’s 88th District in 2012.