Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
Thu May 30, 2013
Conservative Kentucky Group Joins Lawsuit Against IRS
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A conservative Kentucky group that was targeted by the IRS last year is now suing the agency and the federal government.
The Kentucky 9/12 Project, with help from the American Center for Law and Justice, is joining conservative groups from other states in filing suit.
The action comes weeks after IRS officials admitted the agency gave extra scrutiny to conservative groups seeking nonprofit status. And the suit comes the same day U-S Senator Mitch McConnell's re-election campaign released a web ad on the controversy.
Campaign manager Jesse Benton says the incumbent promises to raise the issue early and often on the campaign trail.
"It happens we think to be a very good campaign issue but it's so much more than that. It's a critical issue for the American people and it's something Senator McConnell feels very passionate about and will continue to pursue."
Benton says the campaign may bring up the IRS in a TV ad, though he's happy with the attention the web ads are getting.