Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Sat March 3, 2012
Coal Miner Dies in Harlan Co.
FRANKFORT, Ky. An early morning accident has claimed the life of a Harlan County coal miner. The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet reports that the miner was repairing a canopy – the protective covering over a shuttle car – when the canopy collapsed around 5:40 a.m. Saturday.
It happened at the Timber Tree Mine, which is owned by Parton Brothers Mining. Officials have not yet identified the miner. His death marks the first mining fatality of 2012 in Kentucky.