Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- NBC News' Chuck Todd: Kentucky Poised To Become "Center Of Political Universe"
Sat March 3, 2012
Coal Miner Dies in Harlan Co.
FRANKFORT, Ky. An early morning accident has claimed the life of a Harlan County coal miner. The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet reports that the miner was repairing a canopy – the protective covering over a shuttle car – when the canopy collapsed around 5:40 a.m. Saturday.
It happened at the Timber Tree Mine, which is owned by Parton Brothers Mining. Officials have not yet identified the miner. His death marks the first mining fatality of 2012 in Kentucky.