Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
Tue May 5, 2009
City's First Taxi Stand Now Open
By Bryan Bartlett - Alexandra Birmingham
Lexington, KY – Lots of big cities have them, and now Lexington has one too: talking about taxi stands! The first of which opened for business last night. The idea has been talked about for a year and thanks to the full support of downtown organizations one has opened on West Upper between Main and Short. Renee Jackson with the Downtown Lexington Corporation believes the taxi stand will be an asset to the Lexington downtown scene.
"Having this stand has a number of benefits. Now the taxi drivers will know where to wait, people will know where to go and wait for a cab and the restaurant and bars will feel secure knowing their patrons are getting a safe ride home."
The stand is marked by bright yellow signs and will operate in the evenings from 6 PM to 6 AM. During the day the spots will be become metered parking spaces.