Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu September 19, 2013
Central Kentucky Plays Host To Numerous Festivals This Weekend
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Whether you’re up for a muddy challenge, a night of experimental art and music, or a chance to meet a horse racing legend, Central Kentucky has the festival for you this weekend.
UK’s student radio station WRFL kicks off its annual Boomslang arts and music festival Friday with sounds from Clinic and a poetry slam with guest judge Saul Williams. Also starting on Friday: the Spoonbread Festival in Berea and Christ the King’s Oktoberfest, which will feature German food and live entertainment.
On Saturday, fans of celebrated Triple Crown Winner Secretariat will have a chance to meet Penny Chenery, Secretariat’s owner, starting at noon.
"There will be a silent auction with some great Secretariat racing memorabilia. There's also the marquee event, the autograph signing, which will feature Ms. Chenery, Ron Turcotte, Charlie Davis, and the remaining members of the Meadow Stables team," says Leonard Lusky, president of scretariat.com.
Saturday WUKY and UK Army ROTC will present the second annual Jack Kain Ford Bluegrass Mud Run at Commonwealth Stadium – a 5K run that gets under way 8 AM. Registration is $25 for students and $50 for the general public.