Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu December 24, 2009
Capitol Dome Work Almost Done
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Right on schedule, workers are beginning to disassemble the 176-feet of scaffolding that rises almost to the top of the inner dome. The rotunda sparkles with fresh paint and new lighting. The marble walls are being cleaned in preparation for reinstallation of the four, original brass chandeliers. "They went to New Hampshire to be restored and they will be back on December 28th. And you will see a brilliance that they haven't had since they were installed in the Capitol originally."
David Buchta of Historic Properties says the almost half-million dollar project should wrap up during the first week of January, just in time for the start of the 2010 legislative session. The centennial celebration for the rejuvenated State Capitol is next June.